With the slow start to the month we had time to ponder our future. In Marcus's end of year review the partner in Madrid, Micheal Wilsh, had told Marcus that he'd like to have him stay longer, at least through the end of the year. I was thrilled about that and planned on many more months of life in Madrid. Marcus started thinking a little more though about what and were we'd go after our time in Madrid ended. He looked around online and found out that Davis Polk's Menlo Park office was actually looking for someone his exact year/level to join their office. We had talked in the past about how going back to the California office might make the most sense for our family, because most of our relatives are in Utah. The news that the office was hiring sparked his curiosity. He asked me what I thought about him calling New York and just planting the seed, that we might be interested in California. I told him to go for it, why not? Well, as it turned out that seed planted beautifully it just grew much quicker than we expected, and it all happened much sooner than I wanted. In a matter of days it was settled that we would be going to the Menlo Park office, and they needed us there ASAP. I was in a pretty deep depression for a few days. I had loved the idea of staying through the end of the year (and wouldn't have minded staying longer) but it wasn't going to happen. Because we'd already made summer travel plans we told them the soonest we could be there was August. Before I knew it movers were being scheduled, and plane tickets purchased, and basically my dream life was crumbling down. (Yes, I 'm being dramatic, but this is actually how it felt to me at the time.)
On a positive note it did kind of light a fire under us, and make us get out and do, and see some things we'd been meaning to. We tried very hard for the rest of our time to really enjoy and soak up the time we did have left in Madrid.
One big thing that happened at the beginning of the month was that Hailey lost her brown tooth. When she was four she hit her tooth on a slide at a park in New York, and it had bruised and been brown ever since. She was a trooper about it. We also found out that the tooth fairy pays handsomely for bruised teeth. ;)
One big thing that happened at the beginning of the month was that Hailey lost her brown tooth. When she was four she hit her tooth on a slide at a park in New York, and it had bruised and been brown ever since. She was a trooper about it. We also found out that the tooth fairy pays handsomely for bruised teeth. ;)

















No comments:
Post a Comment