Every time after a huge blog update I think OK, now I won't have to do anything for a few weeks. Since moving here though it seems like every weekend I have pictures and stories I want to document. Anyway, this weekend was no exception to that.
Saturday we decided to head into the Christmas market at Plaza Mayor. We weren't sure what to expect, but had been told it was worth checking out. Plaza Mayor is a big open square in the middle of Madrid. I think it used to be a place where executions, ext. took place. Anyway, for the Christmas market it was packed. People everywhere, stands with people selling everything from Christmas trees and wreaths, to hot pink hair wigs. This was one place I felt it necessary to keep my hand on my purse the entire time, because there was just so much chaos going on everywhere. It was a fun experience. The girls rode on the Carousel, we bought a wreath, wigs (which apparently is something they do here at Christmas) and ate empanadas.
That night we headed out to do some Christmas shopping. We don't have much time left before our vacation, so we felt like we needed to make some serious progress. It was our first time going out as a family after dark since they turned on the Christmas lights. Each street in our area has their own set of lights. The lights go all the way up and down the street, and it is really beautiful. My camera did a pretty poor job of capturing it, but it was pretty spectacular.
A view of the Plaza Mayor Christmas Market. They had tons of spiral lights hanging down all over the square. I'm sure it would be really pretty at night.
Our girls modeling their new hair styles. Hailey Loved the long hot pink wig she got. She started walking around shaking her head and her hips. Pretty hilarious. We have a diva on our hands.
Friday was technically a holiday in Madrid, but Marc had to go into work for a while. Luckily he made it home in time to help oversee our Gingerbread house. The girls picked the design, and it turned out really cute.
Hailey on the Corner of Calle Serrano and Goya. You get an idea of how each of the different streets hangs their lights, and on the big streets (like these) they seem to go on forever.
A view down Goya. It's much prettier in person.
Nothing like asking a stranger to take a picture of you with your camera phone for a holiday card. All things considered it turned out OK. Wish I would have snatched that plastic sack away from Avery before we took it, but what can you do?!
We are loving Christmastime in Madrid!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










Ok- this is seriously amazing! I am loving the wigs!!! It sounds like there are some Spanish traditions worth adopting :-)! Love this adventure you're having. I can't wait to see your vacation pics. These experiences are book worthy- better yet, maybe even a reality TV show! Love you!
ReplyDeleteLove it! So fun to celebrate in another country.
ReplyDelete