December 27, 2013

Meeting the Three Kings

A couple weeks ago we got to go to Hailey's school for a Christmas program.  Hailey had been working on some songs.  One in English, "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" and a Spanish song that I'm not exactly sure what it was but the name "Maria" was said a lot (the Spanish song had a super fast pace, and some of the Spanish parents told us afterward that their kids couldn't even sing it).  It was such a fun afternoon.  To make the day even better The Three Kings showed up.  Hailey had written them a letter and even got to go sit on one of the kings laps and tell him what she wanted for Three Kings Day.  Since the three kings usually only visit Spanish children I encouraged her to go light with her requests.  She ended up asking them for a spinning top, and a notebook with crayons. 

The Three Kings have brought up some difficult questions.  One day while we were out walking Hailey asked Marcus and I, "Jesus was born a long time ago right?"  "Yes he was."  "It was so long ago that none of the people that were there are still alive right"  we answered right.  Then she said "So are the three kings that brought him gifts alive or dead"  I kind of saw where this was going and didn't rush to answer but Marcus said, "they're dead."  Hailey then said, "but if they're dead they live with heavenly father and then how can they bring gifts to the kids on three kings day??"  Maybe Spanish parents have figured out the answers to these questions, but Marcus and I fumbled through an explanation that didn't actually make any sense and then tried to change the subject.  Hailey almost seems like she gets that these holiday figures are fictitious.  I think it's getting a little confusing for her, and putting us in a difficult dilemma when we are encouraging her to tell the truth, yet I kind of think she knows we are making things up.  I have a feeling our years of "believing" are numbered. 

 The Kindergarten students singing their songs.  I didn't have the best angle for Hailey but you can see her in the distance between the kids.

 Sitting on the lap of one of the three kings.  I asked her afterward if she spoke in Spanish to him, but she told me, "no, he spoke English."
 Hailey with some of her cute classmates.
 Avery has made some friends of her own.  Before we left on our trip we had a play date/birthday party for her friend Fina.  These little girls are so cute.  It's fun to see Avery with her own little friends.

1 comment:

  1. That girl is too smart!!! What a cutie! Avery is adorable too, love the mustache! Miss these girls so much!

    ReplyDelete