There were a lot of things we'd been meaning to do while in NYC, but just hadn't quite gotten around to. Sadly we didn't do them all, but we had a busy last few weeks, and we were able to do a lot of fun things. Our first adventure after coming back from Utah was finally going to and doing the Central Park carousal. I'm still a little embarrassed I'd never taken them to do this. We made a great afternoon of it though. We walked to the carousal, and then got Ice Cream after. We even saw the villain from the Smurf movies there with his little boy. I love all the random celebs you see in this city.
Another embarrassing thing is that Marcus had never been to the Statue of Liberty. Since Super Storm Sandy, it had been closed, but it finally re-opened this summer. Sadly Ellis Island still isn't open. But we were able to go out to the Statue. It was really fun. We had a great time and got some great pictures.
We have totally lucked out in the home teacher department while being here. I'd been dying to go to Shakespeare in the Park, but had kind of written it off as impossible, because there was no way we were ever going to have time to go sit in line all day for tickets. Anyway as we were walking through the park one day after a day out at the museum we ran into one of our home teachers Danny, who asked if I'd want to go to Shakespeare in the Park with his wife. He had two tickets, and let me go with her. It was amazing. I had such a great time. I still feel a little bad that Marcus didn't get to go. It was so fun!
This Beauty came into town. We love visits from Ash! We had a blast and were able to check off yet another thing on our list, renting a boat in Central Park. It was actually way more fun than I'd expected. Again, I felt bad Marcus wasn't there for it, but it's definitely something we'll come back and do. It was a lot of fun.
Marcus and I had a more questionable item on our bucket list as well, The Book of Mormon Musical. Marc really wanted to go, but I really didn't want to pay the ridiculous amount tickets were selling for online, so we tried for the lottery a couple times. We even took the girls one day to see if we could get the lottery, but no luck. Eventually we broke down and bought tickets online. It was for a day of performance and they were actually a way better price than anything else we'd seen, so both Marc and I were happy. It was really funny, but really, really vulgar. I have no need to see it ever again, but I'm glad we got the chance to go. Marcus has had several people come up to him at work and tell him that they learned so much about our church from the musical. He felt like he needed an idea of what they were "learning." In the end I don't think it's as offensive as people expect, but just too vulgar for me. It is funny though.
We basically just had a blast our last few weeks. We lived up New York. It was a lot of fun.
Made a trip to the New York Historical Society Museum. Super cool. Ave's slept through it, but Hailey enjoyed it.
Ate out at some of our favorite places including Joy Burger.Did Summer Streets, and got free helmets. (I had to stand in an hour long line, but I was determined to do it!) Marc and Ash thought I was crazy, but helmets can be expensive. Avery, Hailey and I all got one. Now all we need are bikes. ;)
Marcus even made a trip up to Rutger park. There was a League going on the day he went, so he didn't get to play. That was a bit disappointing for him, but I think he still enjoyed going there.
We had so many great times in NYC. I seriously think if I were a millionaire, and just had tons of money to throw around, there wouldn't be a better place to be than NYC. I'm not though. I think I am too cheap of a person to ever be able to fully embrace life in the city. I will miss it a lot, but I hope to never spend that much money on rent, or groceries, or kid's classes, ever again. I'm SO SO happy we lived here though. It's been such an amazing learning and growing experience for me in so many ways. I will always be happy we made the choice to come here and live in the city, and I hope I can say the same for our choice to move to Madrid in a couple years.
No comments:
Post a Comment