June 7, 2013

My Playgroup

I had big plans for life out of Law School.  I was finally not going to have to budget like crazy, and I was going to be able to buy myself and my kids whatever clothes we wanted/needed, and take great vacations, and just enjoy life.  When Marc got the offer to come to New York, I knew it would be expensive, but his Salary sounded so huge that I didn't think it would make much of a difference.  About 5 months into living in the city paying rent, paying taxes, paying off loans, and just dealing with how much more expensive everything is in New york I realized we were pretty much living a continuation of school.  We went out to eat more, and my kids had nicer clothes, but our budget was still pretty tight.  Not to mention in the summer one of my teeth broke in half and our dental insurance covered like 200 dollars of 1300 dollar procedure.  I wasn't making any money, and at the time I felt like every woman around me in the city was working, and I wasn't doing anything to help our family's situation.  It was kind of a low time for me.

Anyway, in the summer one day walking to pick Hailey up from our co-op preschool Lorinda Belnap, a long, long, time New Yorker approached me.  She had raised 6 kids in the city, lived in NYC for 20+ years, and for the last 7 or so had been teaching a class she called "playgroup" from her home.  She told me her husband was seriously considering taking another job, but that she felt bad because she already had a full playgroup class for next year and didn't want to leave all these families with out an option.  She asked if I would be willing to take over her class for her.  She said she taught twice a week and charged 75 dollars.  When she first said this I thought, well and extra 75 dollars a week would be nice.  She asked me if I could come over to her place and talk out details.  Once I was there I found out she charged 75 dollars a week per child.  An extra 300 dollars a week sounded amazing!  Anyway, I really felt like she was an angel.  She gave me books and toys and went through her typical day and basically got me all set up.

Teaching this class this year has been such a blessing.  Obviously financially, but also it's been so nice for Avery to have a class, while Hailey is away at school all day.  I have also loved these little girls.  During the course of the year 4 moved, and every time I'd find out they were moving I'd have a little anxiety attack trying to figure out how to find someone to fill the space, but it always just kind of happened.  It really worked perfectly and has been the best thing ever for me.

Xela, Avery, Alexandra, Elisabeth, and Mazy.
Avery, Elisabeth, Alex, Mazy, and Alexandra
Avery, Mazy, Elisabeth, and Nadia.

These were the pictures from our last day at the playground:
 Avery, Alexandra, Hailey (didn't have school so she joined us), Mazy, and Elisabeth.

 Avery hands down was my worst behaved student.  Sometimes I felt like I could have had 10 kids instead of capping the class at 5 if I didn't have to deal with Avery.  She is so well behaved for other people, but she loved to be a trouble maker in our class.  As the year went on she got better and better, and I think it helped her.  She is kind of shy, but I think having this class really helped her become more comfortable socially, and I'm confident she'll be ready for preschool anytime. 

I'm so glad I had this opportunity. 

Now two years out of law school I'm feeling the way I'd expected to feel as soon as Marc graduated.   I'm excited for the future.  I'm looking forward to Madrid, and looking forward to paying someone else to teach my kids.  ;)  But, I will always have fond memories of the days I spent being Ms. Kristin.   

1 comment:

  1. This is tempting me, Kris... I thought I had decided not to, but maybe it would be fun. $300 a week sounds especially fun :-)!

    ReplyDelete