One year ago today we picked up the keys to our apartment, and our life as a New York family began. In some ways it feels like we've been here a lot longer than a year, and in others it feel like we just got here. Either way it's definitely been an interesting year. It's been a total roller coaster, and as cheesy as this is I can't help but thing of A Tale of Two Cities, because I seriously think the best way to describe this year is, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times". I have constantly been in this up and down state. I've never felt like I've been on such a roller coaster of emotions in my entire life.
A lot of days I look forward to moving on from here and having a normal suburban life. I know though that as soon as I do I'll miss the city and all the adventures we have every day. Anyway, this year has been full of a lot of changes for our family. We may be here for a while longer or we may be gone with in another year, but I think either way I'll always be grateful I've had this opportunity.
In my true blogging fashion I'm now going to post some pictures and stories that have nothing to do with what I just wrote about. ;)
These two girls are growing up so fast. Sometimes I just laugh to myself at the things they consider "normal". They have kept me sane in this city though. I'm so grateful I have them. I'm also really grateful they are having this experience.
Hailey is such a good friend. The other day after school we were playing at the park and she was playing with some kids from her class. One of the little boys got upset with another and they got in a little fight. The little boy that was mad at the other one said, "I'm not playing with you anymore, I'm only playing with Hailey". Hailey immediately said, "we can all play together." The other little boys feelings were hurt though and he ran to his mom. His mom had him come back and apologize. She told Hailey that he thought she was mad at him. She ran over to him and gave him a hug and said laughing, "Collin it's OK. I'm not mad at you! I'm never mad at anyone!" It was so sweet, and it was a proud mother moment for me.
Avery is my sweet handful. She is such a cuddler. She is very polite and says "Tank Too" to me after I do about anything for her. It's very sweet. She's also very concerned with other kids feelings. She's the first to run up to a crying child and try to comfort them. However...she is also a huge handful. She is a shy mischievous child. It's the strangest combination! She loves to get into trouble. She is constantly keeping me on my toes, and trying my patience. Life just wouldn't be nearly as exciting with out her though!
This is what our FHE looks like on a regular basis. These girls are our MCs.
They love to help me cook. Hailey calls herself "The baker girl".
One thing I have loved about the city is the food! I love how many great restaurants there are so close!
The plate in the middle is corn on the cob, smothered in mayonnaise, cheese and spices. It was so good!!!
Since we've been here we've been on the search for the perfect New York cupcake. In our search I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm not that big of a cupcake fan, until the other day when we decided to give Two Little Red Hens a second chance. I'm so glad we did. We got the Brooklyn Blackout, really good if you're a chocolate lover, and a carrot cake cupcake. The carrot cake cupcake is officially in 1st place for Marc and I of best cupcakes we've had in Manhattan. It was so good! It's made me decide I am a cupcake person after all.
Well one year down. I can't wait to see what our next year here has in store!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I just showed Ella your pictures and she said, "oh yeah! There's Hailey! I miss her! How come she looks like she's having so much fun?" Whoops! Apparently we don't get out much! It was fun to see your post! We wish we were closer, I'm still trying to convince Josh that NYC is in the budget and a 2013 must! ;)
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure!!! Your girls are so sweet and sensitive. I love them!!! The food looks amazing (not so sure about the corn on the cob though!). I could DEFINITELY go for a carrot cake cupcake. Happy NY anniversary!!!
ReplyDelete