August 25, 2010

Did NOT See That Coming!!

Well I said I'd blog about our New York trip, so here it is. I've talked about this before on here, but usually in law school you interview with firms after your first year, and then work for them after your second year, during that summer. Those firms then typically make you an offer and you work for them when you graduate. Well we split our summer between a Dallas firm and a firm in Salt Lake. After doing both we were leaning heavily towards Salt Lake. I was even looking at local real estate trying to decide where we'd want to live in a year. Marc decided just to apply to some big firms again for the heck of it. We didn't think anything would really come from this because most firms won't really look at you when your in your third year. BUT while we were in Montana Marc got an e-mail from a firm in New York that he'd interviewed with last year, and they set up an interview with him. So we decided to fly back there and have a little vacation together. I can honestly say I did not think anything would come from it. He'd interviewed with several firms in D.C. and New York last year, and nothing came from it, so I didn't think anything would this time.

We had a pretty funny travel experience getting there. My brother's cute girlfriend is a flight attendant for Jet Blue and she gave us buddy passes, but it's hard to get to New York out of Salt Lake, so we drove to Vegas and flew out on a red eye. We got to our hotel at 6 A.M. and couldn't check in until 11 A.M. So we walked around Manhattan like the living dead for 5 hours! I don't think I've ever felt so horrible! After a shower and a lot of sleep we went out to dinner and to West Side Story on Broadway. Then the next day we walked around a little more went out to eat, and then I walked with Marc to his interview. He interviewed with them for about two and a half hours while I enjoyed a little shopping on 5th Avenue. After his interview we went back to the hotel picked up our luggage and went straight to the airport. It was a very quick trip! :) We got into Vegas at midnight. We then drove through the night and got to my parent's house around 7 A.M. on Friday. Again we felt like the living dead, so we went to sleep for a while. Right after we woke up Marc got a call from one of the partners he'd interviewed with there offering him a job. We were and I think still are in total shock! So today Marc called and accepted the offer. Which means, we are officially New York bound! About this time next year we should be there, unless yet another thing catches us off guard and Marc ends up doing a clerkship, in which case we will be there in two years. We are planning on next year though and we are really excited about it! If anyone wants to plan a vacation a year in advance we are taking reservations! ;)

Here are a couple pictures of our trip:

Times Square self shot. (We had our camera on a weird setting so these pictures didn't turn out great)

At the Palace Theater for West Side Story
Super random, but when we got to the airport in New York to fly back to Vegas Daughtry was playing. They are in the distant background. Pretty funny.

So that's it. Now we are just trying to get our Empire State of Mind on. ;)

7 comments:

  1. Wow...that's awesome! Nice work Marc!!! congrats to you guys that will be so cool! That would be awesome to come visit, I've never been there! Mike and I are looking at Portland, so we'll be on opposite sides of the country! We'd love to have visitors too! Although Portland isn't as cool as New York!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my gosh!!! I am so excited for you guys!!! That will be such an amazing experience to live in NYC. Wow. We will definitely have to try and come visit while you guys are there. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I'm so sad you're going that far away- but fun for you! :) I can't wait to hear all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a whirlwind--congratulations!! exciting times between job offer already and baby coming! so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! We're already planning our visit! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! That is great news! You guys are going to be New Yorkers!!! Hope you've been feeling good with the bun in the oven!

    ReplyDelete