September 3, 2009

Roseola??

Ok so as if life hadn't been hectic enough, poor little Hailey came down with Roseola...I should probably clarify here that she has not been formally diagnosed with this by a doctor, but rather by me through my Internet searching...none the less I'm about 99% sure this is what she had.

Here's the story:

She was kind of irritable last week and then Thursday night/Friday morning I started to notice a little fever. I should really have a better thermometer, but I only have an under arm one, which usually measures low, and when I took her temperature on Friday it read 101...which likely meant it was 102 or above. I hate it when she gets sick on the weekend, because I never know if I should rush her into the doctor or wait it out. I decided that I'd just try to wait it out. I gave her lots of liquid, she was still eating pretty normally, and not throwing up or anything, so I decided she was probably fine. Then by Friday night she got really hot and was breathing really rapidly. I was super worried. But Saturday morning when she woke up she felt normal, so I thought it might of passed. Then in the afternoon she got hotter than ever. About 102 with the under arm thermometer. So Saturday night we took her into the instacare. When they took her temperature there it was 104.5. (Like I said my thermometer reads low) They didn't seem too concerned about it and after running a strep test that came back negative they let me know she just had a virus that would have to pass. By Sunday evening/Monday morning her temperature was down, and she was acting totally normal. Then on Tuesday morning I woke up and as I was changing Hailey I noticed this horrible rash all over her chest and back. I freaked out again. (I'm totally a paranoid parent!) I Was worried she had scarlet fever or something so I took her back into the doctor. The Doctor said the rash wasn't the same as the strep rash they get with Scarlet fever and she had tested negative for strep, so it wasn't scarlet fever. She told me it was probably just a post viral rash. I don't know if anyone else out there is like this, but I hate it when the Doctor tells me it's probably just a virus...I always think what virus...a virus just seems like such a lame diagnosis that you could put on anything. Anyway after some researching online I've decided she had roseola. Here are the symptoms:
  • Irritability
  • Quick onset of high fever
  • Rash erupts on days 4 to 5 of the illness (the fever has usually gone away or is dropping by the time the rash appears)
I was taking this picture because I thought I might send it to my brother to see what he thought of it. I rely on his opinions when I don't feel like I get the right info from my actual doctor. :) Anyway it actually got quite a bit worse than this. This is just the first time I noticed it.

Poor Hailey's expression as I was trying to take the picture. She usually loves to show off her belly...wasn't quite feeling it this day though!
Hailey today...as you can see the rash is pretty well gone, and she's feeling wonderful!

Anyway luckily we've made a full recovery, and she's no longer contagious, but it was really scaring me there for a while. However for those of you out there that aren't buying my accuracy on the diagnosis I just want to let you know that I did get my to be doctor brother (he's just finishing rotations) to concur with me on this, so I'm feeling pretty good. :) So if anyone out there has a child with similar symptoms there's your diagnosis. Or if anyone out there wants me to do some online research and diagnose their child, just let me know...I'm pretty good at it! :) (only kidding of course)

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sad for her. What a sad photo! Thankfully she is looking more like her fun self in the last photo. I would agree with your diagnosis just based on being Dr. Grandma!
    Grandma Diane (even though it will say Stephanie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor little girl...and you too! You are a wonderful mom and you've done great research!!! Binds gets a stuffy nose and I'm up in panic! If I ever need research I'm coming to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addie had that a while ago- they weren't sure if it was an allergic reaction to amoxicillan, or if it was the Roseola virus... however- it was exactly as you said... terrible fever, and then an awful rash. The Doc said that's probably what it was. So, I think you're right!

    Glad she's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss that cutie!!! She is even adorable covered in a rash. I will definitely be turning to you for your medical/internet searching expertise! Miss you, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kristin,

    Cute pictures! I think my granddaughter is about the cutest thing ever!!!!! She melts my heart. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete