February 18, 2014

Segovia and Toledo with Grandma

 The weekend that my mom flew into Madrid we decided to rent a car and show her some cities that are day trips from Madrid.  The first day we went to Toledo.  We had never been there before, but had heard about how amazing it is.  We specifically had heard that the cathedral in Toledo was the best cathedral in Spain.  There are A LOT of cathedrals in Spain, so we knew we had to see it.  It was amazing!  The cathedral itself was gorgeous, but the art collections and the Fresco's were just amazing.

We kind of got a late start on our trip, so we didn't see Toledo as in depth as we would have liked to. We were able to see the El Greco Museum, as well as a little bit of the Sephardic museum, and of course we spent the majority of our time enjoying the cathedral, and enjoying the food.  It was a really fun day trip that I look forward to doing again soon.
The exterior of the cathedral.

Marcus in one of the wings that displays some of the artwork.
A closer look at the ceiling.  You could really spend all day in this place.  It is incredible.
The girls, my mom, and I outside the El Greco museum.  This museum is cool, because it's meant to be like his home.
One of the more interesting things we've eaten so far in Spain.  We went to a fancy restaurant and as one of our courses this soup was served.  What is it exactly?!  I still have no idea.  At one point I suggested that it could be some sort of animal fat with an egg.  That made my mom lose her appetite, and me as well, Marcus on the other hand was unfazed.  He seemed to actually enjoy it.  :)
 The views of the city.  Old town Toledo is up on a hill, so it has some beautiful views once you make your way up.

 The next day we took a trip to Segovia.  It was as charming as ever.  Unfortunately Hailey got sick.  As soon as we got out of the car she threw up.  The poor girl was a trooper though.  She laid down on my lap while my mom explored the cathedral (Pictured below) and then sat with Marc while Avery my mom and I went to tour the castle. 

 This castle is really fun.  We climbed the tower, and got some great views from the top.

 Later we walked to the aqueduct.  This aqueduct may be one of the coolest things I've ever seen.  It just blows my mind that this was built by man almost 2,000 years ago.
Babe?!  Of course we couldn't let my mom go to Segovia without experiencing Cochinillo.  Baby pig.  I don't know if the smile on his face is supposed to comfort you, or freak you out, but he seems happy about us ordering him, doesn't he?  Yes, I totally said I didn't think I could order this again, because I felt too guilty, BUT...I did.  It was as delicious, as I remembered.
 We had such a blast.  We loved every second we could spend with my mom, and really loved exploring some of these cool cities with her.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you were able to do and see so many wonderful things w/ your mom! Fun!! Cochinillo....? Sounds delicious~ and yes, guilt inducing, too.

    ReplyDelete