When our flight landed in Madrid it was about 9:00 AM Sunday morning (3:00 am in New York). I really just wanted to get the girls home and in bed as soon as possible. We waited at the luggage carousel for a while, but our car seats and stroller never came. Marc left to go see what happened to it. The girls and I sat with the luggage. I really needed to get a luggage cart, but I didn't have any small coins. I had a 20 euro bill and that was it, and the cart rental was one euro and wouldn't take any bills above a 10. I felt really helpless. After about an hour, having no idea where Marc was or if he would even be able to come back I decided I had to do something. I finally walked to a little shop nearby where I could still keep my eyes on the girls and the luggage, and bought some candy to break my 20. Then I finally was able to go get a cart, and load the luggage on. I started wheeling to the exit just as Marcus came back. He said they somehow hadn't put them on our plane, but they'd deliver them to our apartment the next day. (When they did deliver it our rain cover, sun shade, and bag that went with our stroller were missing, so we had to file a claim...Awesome, have I mentioned how much I love Delta at JFK??!!)
Finally getting to our temporary housing was such a huge relief. It had been such and exhausting trip I just wanted it to be over. We rested on Sunday, and Monday and Tuesday Marcus and I were able to drop the girls off with some American members here and look for an apartment. Happily we found an awesome place that we are thrilled about, but we can't move in until the first of October. So we will be in temporary housing for another month. But the picture below is the exterior of our new building. It's a 3 bedroom 2 bath, and it's only a block from Retiro Park. I seriously couldn't be more excited about it!
After we signed the contract on our place we decided the girls needed to see how amazing the park is. We had a really fun afternoon in Retiro Park.Hailey took some pictures of some of the beautiful architecture there.
On Saturday we asked Hailey what she'd like to do. She said, "Mom didn't you say they have palaces in Madrid?" So we took the girls out to the Royal Palace of Madrid. We went on the tour and it was amazing. I think Hailey expected to walk in and meet the royal family though. She was a little confused. She asked if it was actually a museum, and was a little sad she didn't get to meet the King and Queen or the princesses. We had a great day there.
After the palace we headed to a chain American restaurant. It was actually really fun. The girls loved it. Marc and I loved that we were able to eat dinner at 6 O'clock. (Most restaurants here don't open for dinner until 8).
I LOVE the pictures!!! Everything looks beautiful! Congrats on the apartment! Sounds fantastic, and it's beautiful from the outside. That park is amazing. You all look great!!! I can't believe you're really there. So exciting. Sorry about the airport drama. Any luck with the claim? Miss you!
ReplyDelete