May 24, 2013

Avery Pictures

Avery...so many things I could say about this little girl.  She is so fun.  She is adorable.  She is sweet, and loves to cuddle, (most of the time)...She also likes to tease, and she is possibly the most stubborn and defiant child I've ever met.  The past few weeks I don't think I've been on my A game as far as parenting goes.  Avery has stretched me to my limits this month.  Mostly by not sleeping well and then being super difficult because she hasn't slept well. 
 
She is now in a toddler bed.  An unfortunate aspect of living in NYC is that it's impossible to lock a curtain.  If we were in the suburbs I have no doubts that by now I would have switched the door nob and locked her in her room, but alas...that's not even an option.  This week things have gotten a little better.  Marcus decided maybe a reward system instead of my usual route of punishment might be the way to go.  So far it's definitely made life better.  I'm really hoping it lasts.  Instead of it taking 3 hours for her to finally go to sleep this week we are averaging about 45 minutes, so I'm hopeful it will get better. 
 
We would have just kept her in her crib, but the trouble started before we changed her bed.  She was climbing in and out of her crib so often that I was afraid she was going to break her arm, so I'm afraid there is no easy fix.  I'm hoping this is just something she grows out of, soon!  I asked my mom when she was here how she'd describe her personality and she said, She's so good and easy in so many ways, but she kind of seems to enjoy being a stinker.  Yes, Yes she does. 
 
For instance one of Avery's playgroup friends asked her if she wanted to go to her birthday party the other day, and just to be silly/tease she just said "NO!" and wouldn't stop saying that.  She's like that at home all the time.  She says she wants something and you give it to her, and she says "No, I don't want that I want (Insert something else)!"  I don't give into this behavior either, so I really don't think I'm fueling it, she just truly is going through a terrible two stage!  It's pretty funny, but so frustrating sometimes.


 
She is also such a sweetie though.  She LOVES babies, and is so excited to see her cousin Tyson in a few weeks, and "give him kisses on his chubby little cheeks."  She is a defender of younger children and protects them, but doesn't like to go along with what any older child wants or tells her to do.  I think all these qualities will be so good when she's an adult, just a little frustrating to deal with as a parent.  Haha...Dang she is a doll though!  We LOVE our Avery!

1 comment:

  1. That face is so dang sweet and innocent!!! I can't wait until she can give Tyson those big kisses! The move to a toddler bed almost put me over the edge. Good luck! I really like Marc's suggestion of rewards- I wish it would work with an 8-month-old who refuses to sleep unless it's in his parents' bed! I swear sleeping struggles are the WORST! Can't wait to see this sweet little girl next month!!!

    ReplyDelete