Last week we made sugar cookies. We ended up with way more than I wanted sitting around the house, so we decided to take some to one of Hailey's friends, Davis. Davis lives just a few blocks north of us, but to get there we have to walk by a housing project. As usual there was a group of 7-10 men sitting outside. Now I normally try to quickly walk by having as little interchange as possible with these men. My intention that day was the same. Don't make eye contact. Try not to hear anything they might say. In general just pretend not to notice them at all. Hailey and Avery had other plans.
Hailey has been super excited about Christmas. In school here they learn about all the holidays. Hailey loves saying happy holidays to everyone she sees here. Anyway, as she was walking down the street she was carrying her plate of cookies for her friend and singing jingle bells. Avery started singing Happy Holidays and saw the group of men first. She started waving to them, (sometimes Avery's super introverted, sometimes she's super social and outgoing). One of the men saw her and started waving and talking to her. Hailey not to be outdone popped out, and said "Hello!" One of the men started telling her how beautiful she was, to which she responded Thank you! Then he said I love you! And she laughed and giggled, and said "I love you too! Haha. Happy Holidays!" I was trying to be polite, but trying to continue hurrying her along. After we passed them she turned to me and said, "Mom those guys were saying such nice things to me!"
Moments like those make me laugh. Definitely not an experience she'd have in Utah!
Avery has been talking a ton lately. She has also discovered that her shirt is a great storage space. ;) She loves sticking toys down there, sippys, even food. Anything she thinks she might want to keep close for later. It cracks me up. She thinks she's pretty clever!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What great pictures. Fun times in New York! I especially love the pictures of Avery's shirt storage. She is one resourceful child! I sure do love your blog!
ReplyDeleteHILARIOUS! I love those girls! Hailey's comment about those men cracks me up!!! How funny. Avery IS talking a lot. I couldn't believe her on Skype last night. Can't wait to see them in person soon!!!
ReplyDelete