February 12, 2015

Lucas's First Weeks at Home

Our first weeks home with our little guy were wonderful, emotional, and a little exhausting.  When I first left the hospital I felt so good.  I almost felt bad that my mom was staying for so long.  I felt like I could do anything and probably wouldn't need all that much help.  A couple days later I felt like I'd been hit by a truck.  The recovery process wasn't quite as easy as I originally thought it would be.  I was so lucky to have my mom here to help.  She saved me by picking the kids up from school, cooking, cleaning, helping me get some extra rest, and keeping me company.  It was such a blessing she could come and stay for so long.

Lucas Had a bit of Jaundice.  It actually took about 3-4 weeks to really clear up.  We tried to put him in the sun as much as possible, but it was a little hard in November.  Eventually though, thanks to a healthy appetite, it passed.  It also took his belly button stub well over a month to finally go away...nearly two.  Lucas didn't sleep much or for very long at night.  He wanted to eat every 2-3 hours.  He was very sweet during the days.  He loved to be cuddled and rocked.  He was truly just a beautiful sweet little newborn. 

Marcus took a couple days off when Lucas was born, and then had to go back for a couple weeks before taking paternity leave.  The day his paternity leave started was one of the best days.  I was finally feeling a little better, and I was feeling so excited to have him home with us.  It was such a wonderful four weeks.  Surprisingly, we stayed much busier than we thought we would.  It was still super nice, and I'm so happy we had that time.

His sisters have fallen head over heels in love with their brother.  Hailey is my helper.  She plays with him, and helps me a lot.  Avery adores him, though sometimes she makes me a little nervous.  She is such a sweet big sister though.  The other day we were walking home from school and Avery said, "I'm going to marry Lukey when I grow up."  I said, "But sweetie you can't marry your brother."  To which she said, "Ah, but mom, I just love him so much I want to live with him forever even when he's a grown up, so I'm going to marry him."  I love these three sweethearts!




















 


 My mom even made Thanksgiving dinner while she was here.  I can not put into words how wonderful that was.  It was wonderful food, and so amazingly wonderful for me to not have to cook!  So grateful we had her here to help. 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this until now and I can't believe how much he has grown! So fun to see these beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete