November 25, 2013

Fall in Madrid

OK, these are a lot of random pictures I've taken over the last couple weeks, so hopefully this makes some sort of sense.  We are really loving Madrid.  I seriously love it.  It's such a beautiful place.  We have been lucky to make some great friends here already, and it really already feels pretty homey. 

Avery is really doing great.  She is such a creature of habit.  Once she gets into a routine she is good.  She has school on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and she's quite the hit there.  I've always thought of her as being socially a little more reserved, but she doesn't seem to be at school.  The kids love her, and she's even been fought over a little bit.  The teachers are amazed by how maternal she is.  She plays with and comforts the little babies when their moms drop them off.  It's really sweet.  Avery has always had to deal with being the little sister to a pretty outgoing, friendly, and sometimes attention seeking older sister, and as a result she's often been left out.  But she now has her own group of friends, and her own school, and she is loving it.  We have been having playgroups with some American friends on Fridays, and it's been so fun.  Last weekend we had it at our place and then went to Retiro Park.  Lily and Jackie had to leave early, but here is Avery with Molly, and Fina.  They are so funny together.  Avery may even be the best behaved and least stubborn of the three!  They all have very similar temperaments. 
We finally got new coats and hats for these girls.  They are pretty adorable in them.  I'm still trying to figure out my favorite Spanish stores.  Luckily there is a good variety to choose from, so it's fun to look around.
 I kind of had a big life moment a few weeks ago...We hired a cleaning lady.  I was so excited for her to come at first.  Her name is Juicy  (it's actually Jucilinea or something, but we call her Juicy for short) she is from Brazil, and so she speaks very little and pretty unclear Spanish...as do I, and no English, so we have had a hard time communicating.  She is also kind of an angry cleaner, and she talks as she cleans.  It really made me uncomfortable and worried until our neighbor who recommended her to us told me that's just how she is all the time.  She said she likes her better than others though because she feels like she's super good at cleaning and very  honest.  I finally just decided to have her come for a longer amount of time 1 day a week instead of 2.  I also decided not to be here when she comes.  Last week I took Hailey to school and then Avery and I played in the park and did some shopping while Marcus explained to her what we wanted done and then headed to work.  I came home for the last 15 minutes of her time at our place, and it was much better.  So as long as I limit my contact with her it's OK.  I do LOVE having my kitchen, and bathrooms deep cleaned weekly. 

This picture was taken at the park, killing time while Juicy was at our place.
 This is my wonderful Spanish teacher Teresa.  She is so funny.  She has been super helpful too.  She has taken me grocery shopping, toy shopping, even offered to go with me to IKEA.  She is really fantastic.  Last class we went book shopping for a picture vocab book that I could work on with the girls.  We found some great things and then headed to a nearby Churro con Chocolate place for some wonderful hot chocolate and churros.  (A must do when you come visit.)

My Spanish on the other hand is not going well.  I have completely lost desire to work on it.  I can get around, but really can't have much of a conversation with anyone.  I get like 2 out of every 6 words that someone says, which leads to a lot of confusion.  Other than my classes twice a week with Teresa I'm not working on it at all, which isn't helping things.  I just feel like I have so many other things to do during the day, and then at night I just want to turn my brain off and relax.  I know I need to work harder.  Hopefully I can turn that around soon.


 Hailey got to go on an awesome field trip last week to a farm.  They got to ride a pony, pet chickens, see tons of different animals, bake cookies, and even put on special boots to squash grapes and make their own grape juice!  It sounded pretty amazing to me.  The same day Avery and I got a mini farm experience as we walked home from school there was a sheep exhibit set up on Serrano.  I guess it was to promote Spanish wool.  Avery and Fina thought it was about the coolest thing they'd ever seen.  The sheep were beautiful but too jumpy for Avery to get very close to them, which she was disappointed about, but still super cool.
 Marcus's office was offering flu shots to employees and their significant others, so Avery and I headed into the office last week.  While we were there I had to snap a picture of these two.  Avery walked right in and sat in Marcus's chair and said, "this is my office now!" 
Hailey writing her and Avery's letter to Santa.  They have decided to ask for a play kitchen for Christmas this year.  That's one of those thing's I've felt guilty about them never having, so I'm happy we now have the space for it.  I think...I'm still not exactly sure where it will go, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.
Hailey is doing really well too.  She has a ton of friends at school, and is really working hard to learn Spanish.  Sometimes I worry she isn't being challenged at all at school aside from the language, but she seems really happy.  She is reading really well now, and can probably read Spanish at about grade level, so she is doing great there.  She has this excitement for life that is contagious and makes her fast friends with just about everyone she comes in contact with.  She is truly a sweetheart.  On the note she wrote to Santa she wrote:  "Dear Santa, For Christmas this year we would like a toy kitchen.  The kitchen should be big.  Thank you.  I hope you make it to Spain in time.  Love, Hailey and Avery."  Such a funny girl.  We just love her so much.

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I'm so glad you're loving it there. I wish Juicy would come to my house, but sadly I'm someone else's Juicy. Ha ha! Someday!!!

    ReplyDelete