September 16, 2013

Our Saturday in Segovia

We decided to take a day trip this past Saturday to Segovia Spain.  We had heard it had this incredible Disney like castle and we thought that might make a fun trip for both us and the girls.  When we first drove into Segovia we went in kind of a round about way.  I had pretty high expectations and our first drive through the city didn't totally deliver for me.  Once we got out of the car though and got to the true heart of the city it was absolutely stunning!  It is such a beautiful sweet city with so much interesting history.

We started our trip at the Alcazar Castle.  It was a palace in the middle ages and was a favorite residence of the Monarchs of Castile.  After being a palace it was actually turned into a prison for 200 years, and then a Royal Artillery School.  It burned in 1862 and since then it's basically been a museum.  It is really incredible.  It had some of the most beautiful views of Segovia from the tower. 

Both of our girls were a little worried about the castle guard.  We finally convinced Hailey too go get a picture with him, but Avery would have nothing to do with him.  She was terrified.


The exterior of the castle.
 
I love this picture.  There are a bunch of different suits of armor on display in one of the first rooms of the castle.  If you look at Hailey's face she is so scared.  She was nervous there was actually someone in there.  She didn't want to take this picture at all.  
A view of the gardens from the terrace of the castle.
 



 It was really fun to explore.  We ended up hiking up this tower.  It was really steep, but we all made it up.  Hailey even did it on her own.  About halfway up the tower you'd see little cells where important prisoners were held.  The tower was the safest place I guess to hold a prisoner of importance because there was no way to escape. 
The view from the top was amazing. 

 After the castle we headed to Segovia's Plaza Mayor, a big square where they used to hold executions and other major events.  It's now a big open square with restaurants lining it.  On our way though we stopped by this little cheese store and bought some Segovia cheese.  They have pigs everywhere here.  Partially because Segovia's culinary claim to fame is it's roast suckling pig called cochinillo asado.  Basically it's a baby pig, 21 days old fed only on it's mothers milk.  I still feel incredibly guilty that I ate a little baby pig, but it was maybe the most delicious thing I've eaten here so far.  I don't know if my conscience will let me do it again, but it was incredible. 
 A view of Segovia's Cathedral.  It is stunning inside and out.  It was built in Renaissance times, and was Spain's last major Gothic building. 
The inside of the cathedral is truly stunning.  So big and beautiful.  I wasn't sure if I was allowed to take pictures, so I just snapped this one quickly.  I think the girls thought the interior of this was more castle like than the actual castle.  
 Segovia also has an amazing Roman Aqueduct.  Segovia was a Roman military base.  This aqueduct is 2,000 years old, 100 feet high, built without any mortar, and actually still functioned until the late 19th century.  Really amazing site.

 
 
 


Hailey and Juan Bravo.
Hailey and Avery each got a souvenir fan to take home...I think both are already broken, but the girls were so excited about these. 

Segovia was beautiful and such a great day trip.  Definitely a place we'd love to go back to.  Especially when all of our visitors come!  (Hint Hint.)
 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING! Beautiful pictures!!! I would LOVE to go there. Looks like something out of a travel magazine. Hailey's nervous smile by the armor is super cute! Do you have a car? Does Marcus really get weekends off? Did you seriously eat a sweet baby pig :-)?! And a Kindergarton update is needed too! How's it going? So many questions, a Skpe session is definitely in order! I'm so excited for you guys. Can't believe this is your real life! What an adventure. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete